Over time, grease, grime and debris will collect on your car in areas you don’t pay particular attention to – until you see how they should look.
Volkswagens are resilient cars that retain a fresh finish for many years. All you need to do is break through a layer of road grease and car wash film to return your vehicle’s finish to that sought-after “new” look.
Following are steps 3 & 4 of our 6-step Easy Detailing series. Each mini-series will finish with recommendation of an exterior car wash to tie it all together.
3: Door Jam clean-up
- Required tools: All-purpose cleaner/degreaser (options here), thick rag or old towel
- Time budget: 12-15 minutes
- Note: One area often overlooked when cleaning cars is the door jams. These collect grease and grime over time, and once clean will freshen the overall look of your vehicle significantly.
- Open all doors and look for soiled areas in door sills and jams.
- Spray all-purpose cleaner on soiled areas and allow to soak (Note: be careful not to “over-spray” cleaner through vehicle interior)
- Wipe surfaces clean with a clean, lint-free rag.
- Repeat if necessary
4: Interior vacuuming
- This step may seem obvious but is often overlooked.
- Pull out floor mats, move front seats forward and back, focus on vacuuming thoroughly.
- Vacuum seating surfaces with focus on cleaning out the creases where dirt collects.
- To finish off your car cleanup, give it an exterior wash. Take it through an automated car wash or wash it yourself at home.
- Car wash:
- Go somewhere you know the brushes are soft and soaked in water to reduce/remove chances of scratching.
- Pack a chamois or towel so you can dry the car completely, and “chase” the water run marks when returning home.
- It’s a good idea to wash your car in the shade, preferably in the early morning or evening.
- Use a good amount of car wash soap (not dishwashing detergent) to create lather and pull dirt from the car.
- Rinse thoroughly. Remaining soap will attract dirt and dust.
- Dry throughly.
You’re done! Stand back and admire the finished product.
Easy Detailing steps 5-6 will be posted in next month. Stay tuned!
This post brought to you by GeorgetownVW.com